25 - 29 November 2024
About the workshop
ATHENS WORΚSHOP // NEW
“Learn to see and to feel life, that is, cultivate imagination, because there are still marvels in the world, because life is a mystery and always will be.”
This workshop will propose a playground for experimentation and abstraction. Abstraction gives us a space to dream and to feel. Our imagination is challenged and thoughts have free rein. The creative artistic process is complex and individual. We will create new work, leave our comfort zone and during this process we will trust our intuition.
A distinctive feature of Jessica Backhaus’ work to date has been a fascinating interplay between the depiction of reality and enigmatic abstraction. Form, light and color describe in an incisive and totally natural manner her visual story, and it is through these and other elements that the five days of work with the prolific German-American artist will lead the participants to re-consider the potential in approaching a new body of work with the power of their own intuition and to re-consider new ways of seeing and facing abstraction.
The workshop will be a journey into the unknown. It is also intended to provide a space for creative exchange. The participants will be supported and encouraged to find and develop their very own visual language. At the end of the five days there will be a small presentation where the resulting works will be featured. The group of participants will have a lively exchange with Jessica Backhaus through individual and group discussions. One simply needs to dare.
Open for applications
Early bird price
(price include vat)
(price include vat)
A 50% deposit by bank transfer is required once you have been accepted in the workshop, (you will be notified by email) and the remaining 50% must be deposited 10 days before the submission deadline. Early bird admissions are limited and places will be sold in a first come basis.
She is represented by various galleries in Germany, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, The Netherlands and the United States. To date, she has nine publications to her name; Cut Outs, Far away but close, A Trilogy, Six degrees of freedom, Once, still and forever, etc. In Spring 2024 her new publication Plein Soleil will be released by Kehrer Verlag. All books are published by Kehrer Verlag, except Far away but close that was published by Another Place Press. Since 2009 Jessica Backhaus lives and works again in Berlin. In 2012 FOAM Fotografiemuseum, Amsterdam produced a short documentary Wonder Jessica Backhaus, by Willem Aerts.
In order to apply for a placement in the workshop, please send us a zip file with:
1) a short cv, 2) up to 10 images (jpg format, maximum size 1024p, 72dpi) and 3) a statement.
You can send them via email: email@example.com
please fill in the form below:
Terms and conditions
- There is a limited number of spaces on the workshop, the places will be sold on a first come basis.
- We reserve the right to cancel this event when we do not reach the minimum number of participants. In the unlikely event of cancellation, participants will be given at least 1-week advance notice and a full refund.
- If you decide to cancel for any reason, and notify us at least 40 days before the starting day of the workshop, we will reimburse all fees. After that time frame, you will lose your deposit.
- The workshop fee does not include transport, accommodation or ground expenses.
- Every participant has to bring it’s own equipment (camera and laptop).
Do you need more information?
We will be happy to assist you!
Subscribe for upcoming workshops and events