September 11-15, 2023
About the workshop
WALKING THROUGH HISTORY / HISTORY THROUGH WALKING
“I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees.” – Henry David Thoreau
Μark believes that the best way to connect to a place is by walking. Moving slowly, quietly, and with the heightened concentration that comes from being alone you tend to see differently and can think with greater clarity. If you have some knowledge of the history of where you are walking – of what happened there – the experience is heightened still further. That’s why this workshop will begin – even before you get to Santorini – with historical research. You’ll receive a link to a short film, and be recommended some suggested reading (not too much, but enough to give you a reasonable grasp of the island’s remarkable history by the time you arrive, as well as various information)
Armed with what you’ve learned, you’ll be encouraged to make at least two self-guided walks throughout the island. Some paths are well known, others less so; some easy, others more challenging. Where you go, is entirely up to you.
On alternate days you’ll gather as a group to look closely at the work you’ve just made, and Mark will present two lectures, one about his work in general and the other about sequencing. You’ll also discuss photographic subjectivity, and how one chooses to look at a ‘landscape’, all in an attempt to better understand how you might connect to the spirit of a place, its genius loci, and to make pictures of it. At the same time it’s important to remember that none of you are on a commercial assignment. Therefore you might, if you choose to do so, search for a contrary vision to that of a commercial photographer working for the Santorini tourist board. The island you depict might instead appear to be an uneasy, unsettling place where all might not be as it seems.
Which approach, after all, is closer to the ‘truth’? Or are they both fictions which are less about the place they depict and more about the decisions we all make when we take pictures.
Open for applications
Early bird price
All official regulations regarding the COVID-19 situation
will be taken into account.
In order to apply for a placement in the workshop, please send us a zip file with:
1) a short cv, 2) up to 10 images (jpg format, maximum size 1024p, 72dpi) and 3) a statement.
please fill in the form below:
Special features included in the price!
- We encourage participants to arrive one day prior to the workshop beginning as we are offering a welcome dinner with local delicious food and wine from our organic garden. It’s a perfect occasion to meet all and enjoy dinner during sunset time at our veranda.
- Breakfast and drinks are served during all days of the workshop.
- You are welcomed to pick up any veggies or fruit from our organic garden.
- A wonderful dinner is offered on the last day as a farewell to all the participants of the workshop.
Accommodation and practical information
- We will be delighted to accommodate you at our Residence, please visit our website: www.thepalmtreeresidence.com
- As our Residence cannot accommodate all participants, we encourage you to make your booking on time. A list of recommended hotels and rent rooms for different budgets located close to the workshop will be provided too.
- Information for places to eat and drink within the village area will be given as well as local buses time tables, taxis, rent a car or scooter services, transportation from and to airport and harbor of Santorini, etc. We are here to make to provide you with all the necessary tips and facilities so please don’t hesitate to contact us for further requests.
Terms and conditions
- There is a limited number of spaces on the workshop, the places will be sold on a first come basis.
- We reserve the right to cancel this event when we do not reach the minimum number of participants. In the unlikely event of cancellation, participants will be given at least 1-week advance notice and a full refund.
- If you decide to cancel for any reason, and notify us at least 40 days before the starting day of the workshop, we will reimburse all fees. After that time frame, you will lose your deposit.
- The workshop fee does not include transport, accommodation or ground expenses.
- Every participant has to bring it’s own equipment (camera and laptop).
Do you need more information?
We will be happy to assist you!
Subscribe for upcoming workshops and events