October 2-6, 2023
About the workshop
DRAWING CLOSER – RELATIONAL ENCOUNTERS
This five -day intensive workshop on the beautiful Island of Santorini will focus on creating a space for photographic thinking and exploration of our physical and emotional connection to the everyday and to that which is close to us, surrounding us locally and in proximity. We will think about the camera as a drawing-closer and as a tool for making relation; the personal as political and the hyper-local (one’s backyard) as a stage on which narrative can unfold and be fostered.
We will examine how a method of return (to a person, a community, a place, the self) can be a way of practicing this drawing closer, and of making kin. Katrin will provide in-depth insight into her own working processes and influences, and the workshop will centre a variety of approaches and challenges to working in a relational way. She will encourage and guide participant immersion with the island to find new ideas and make new pictures that are near and ‘resident’. These new beginnings may be collaborative, experiential and experimental.
Drawing on notions of photographic practice as a ‘being-in the-world’ and as something intimately connected with who we are, participants will be invited to understand the workshop as a deep and honest meeting point for rigorous exchange, and collective and individual discussion of their own work. Participants are encouraged to bring to the workshop projects-in-progress, previous ‘finished’ work, books and book dummies, personal questions or ideas for a future photographic work. Always asking what is at stake, we will study participant’s motivations and working processes, untangling how their work can engage with the realities that confront them and speak to their lived experiences.
Open for applications
Early bird price
All official regulations regarding the COVID-19 situation
will be taken into account.
In order to apply for a placement in the workshop, please send us a zip file with:
1) a short cv, 2) up to 10 images (jpg format, maximum size 1024p, 72dpi) and 3) a statement.
please fill in the form below:
Special features included in the price!
- We encourage participants to arrive one day prior to the workshop beginning as we are offering a welcome dinner with local delicious food and wine from our organic garden. It’s a perfect occasion to meet all and enjoy dinner during sunset time at our veranda.
- Breakfast and drinks are served during all days of the workshop.
- You are welcomed to pick up any veggies or fruit from our organic garden.
- A wonderful dinner is offered on the last day as a farewell to all the participants of the workshop.
Accommodation and practical information
- We will be delighted to accommodate you at our Residence, please visit our website: www.thepalmtreeresidence.com
- As our Residence cannot accommodate all participants, we encourage you to make your booking on time. A list of recommended hotels and rent rooms for different budgets located close to the workshop will be provided too.
- Information for places to eat and drink within the village area will be given as well as local buses time tables, taxis, rent a car or scooter services, transportation from and to airport and harbor of Santorini, etc. We are here to make to provide you with all the necessary tips and facilities so please don’t hesitate to contact us for further requests.
Terms and conditions
- There is a limited number of spaces on the workshop, the places will be sold on a first come basis.
- We reserve the right to cancel this event when we do not reach the minimum number of participants. In the unlikely event of cancellation, participants will be given at least 1-week advance notice and a full refund.
- If you decide to cancel for any reason, and notify us at least 40 days before the starting day of the workshop, we will reimburse all fees. After that time frame, you will lose your deposit.
- The workshop fee does not include transport, accommodation or ground expenses.
- Every participant has to bring it’s own equipment (camera and laptop).
Do you need more information?
We will be happy to assist you!
Subscribe for upcoming workshops and events