30 September - 4 October 2024
About the workshop
An Unromantic Take on Documentary Photography
This workshop aims to challenge practitioners through critical reflection and the development of tools that recognize the potential and limitations of the medium in shaping impactful narratives in today’s socio-environmental context.
The workshop emphasizes the importance of personal vision and individual approach and encourages photographers to develop unique artistic perspectives integral to their work. It argues for a critical stance that challenges established norms of storytelling, especially in social and environmental projects, and that goes beyond a mare representation of the consequences to examine the underlying power dynamics.
The program encourages a re-evaluation of ‘truth’ and “objectivity’ and calls for the photographer’s subjective point of view to be used as a narrative device. It explores the role of aesthetics and its problems, as well as its potential to solve complex representational challenges.
The workshop combines one-on-one mentoring with group discussion, fostering both personalised guidance and collaborative learning.
Whether you want to bring your own project or explore new ideas in the beautiful but complex landscape of the Aegean island, over these five days we will critically question, shape and develop your photographic narratives in an atmosphere of sharing, dialogue and mutual growth.
Open for applications
Early bird price
(price include vat, daily breakfast and 2 dinners)
A 50% deposit by bank transfer is required once you have been accepted in the workshop, (you will be notified by email) and the remaining 50% must be deposited 10 days before the submission deadline. Early bird admissions are limited and places will be sold in a first come basis.
In order to apply for a placement in the workshop, please send us a zip file with:
1) a short cv, 2) up to 10 images (jpg format, maximum size 1024p, 72dpi) and 3) a statement.
You can send them via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
please fill in the form below:
Terms and conditions
- There is a limited number of spaces on the workshop, the places will be sold on a first come basis.
- We reserve the right to cancel this event when we do not reach the minimum number of participants. In the unlikely event of cancellation, participants will be given at least 1-week advance notice and a full refund.
- If you decide to cancel for any reason, and notify us at least 40 days before the starting day of the workshop, we will reimburse all fees. After that time frame, you will lose your deposit.
- The workshop fee does not include transport, accommodation or ground expenses.
- Every participant has to bring it’s own equipment (camera and laptop).
Do you need more information?
We will be happy to assist you!
Subscribe for upcoming workshops and events